POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No POV-Ray at Renderosity site : Re: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 7 Sep 2003 13:03:06
Message: <3f5b64ca@news.povray.org>
It could also be, that users of POV-Ray are generally more mathmatically
minded people. At least we are forced to be, and even I've come to value
math! But look at  p.binaries.images  and see the amount of images that are
based on something mathematically, which is great, but misses an appealing
light, color and composition. Well, some are newbies and some are WIP's and
this apply to all the world: only a small percentage ends up along true
masterpieces. But still, I think we have a tendency to focus on something
that aren't going to qualify as a "beautiful artistic image".

Even I sometimes feel, there is an abyss between the artist and the
mathematican. Today I use Wings3D for most modelling purposes, because I
think it has a highly efficient graphical interface. But then I'm having
difficulty to suddenly switch back to POV scripting. It takes some hours to
adjust, possibly because my brain has to work in another way; where I don't
immediately see the result of what I'm doing.

In the past, artists worked with simple tools like paper and pencil. And I
know how many artists don't really *think* about what they're doing (they
are unable to, if they're on drugs!) they are just working with their
instincts, feelings, and improvise whatever they're doing. It's a wonder how
something great can come out of this, but...

Moving the mouse around on the screen, comes closer to this, than using the
keyboard. Maybe that's why POV-Ray is shamelessly ignored among many
artistic webpages?

Regards,
Hugo